There are many things to be grateful for, but sometimes we don’t make time to think about it. We would much rather spend that time complaining about the things that we don’t have. If we really think about it we might realize that many of the things that we are complaining about is actually things that we don’t need. That is the reason behind today’s post.
I want to stand still and think about the things that I have, and I want to thank God for it. In order to do it, I made a free Gratitude list (yes, it is free. Just go over to my resources and print it out for you).
Gratitude is described by the Oxford Dictionary as “the quality of being thankful; readiness to show appreciation”. It is also a strong emotion and can really make a difference to be positive and happy.
I believe there is power in our thoughts, and that it becomes our words and actions in time.
Here are the list of things that I am grateful for
- God. I believe everything that is good comes from Him. His greatness is incomprehensible and His goodness and mercy much greater than we can perceive.
- To be alive. If you are following me for a while you will know about my experience in ICU last year.
- For my husband who stands by me through everything that life throws at us.
- My two sons, life’s biggest blessings.
- Family. This includes my father and mother, brother and sister, in-laws and everyone else. We are a close-knit family that really supports one another and help where we can.
- Friends. They say if you are friends for more than 7 years you become family. I am very grateful for this second family.
- All our belongings. Maybe I should split it up in a house, car, clothes, etc… but the possibility exist that I may leave something out. Although everything we have is not the best, it is ours… and I am grateful for it.
- Having food to eat every day. I think this is a privilege that we don’t always realize as not everyone has it.
- My job. I know I complain about my job… like a lot, but I do get a monthly salary that aids in supporting our lifestyle. It also provides me with opportunity to be kind to other people and make a difference.
- Weekends. I am grateful for the two days off from number 9 every week.
- Health. I know it almost goes together with number 2, but for me there is a difference in being alive and being healthy.
- Communication. To be able to communicate is an honor not extended to everyone
- Our senses. I can break this one up into five senses as well… taste, sight, touch, smell and hearing. (I heard they want to change it, add something and put some together, but for know let’s stick to this 5.)
- Pets. I can make this one bigger as well to include all animals. Spending some time with my dog can really calm me down.
- Nature. Think of sunsets, bush-veld, beaches, oceans, trees… need I say more?
- Sunshine. I know some countries don’t have sunshine every day, but this is one thing I am grateful for in my country.
- Entertainment. Music, movies and books. I decided to put these together as I do not want to exceed 25 things on this list (no, it is not cheating… maybe a bit).
- Memories. Making memories and remembering them.
- Opportunities. The opportunity I am grateful for at this moment is to write this blog. I enjoy writing, taking the photos and putting it all together in the end.
- Making mistakes and learning from them.
- Freedom of speech.
- Freedom of religion. I am not persecuted for my faith and can read the Bible wherever I want.
- Laughter. Ability to laugh and enjoy life.
- Sleep. We somehow never get enough sleep, but we still get some.
- You… reading this blog. I enjoy writing and would write this even if no one would ever read it, but I am grateful for people connecting and caring, sharing experiences and learning from one another.
I rode down the road a while back and the thought came to my head that I really enjoy my life. All the ups and downs and everything in it. There are still many things I can add to my gratitude list (first one I think of is chocolates… how could I miss it?), but I want to keep it short.